CM's Corporation Legioss/TLEAD.

Posted by Roger 
Anonymous User
Fark Moi! Those look HOT! I can't wait to get all of them! Well, at least one Alpha Fighter, one Beta and one Ride Armor that is.
They're looking fantastic now, so glad that CM's reworked them. The tread even has it's misisle pods and it seems to have more then I remembered.

These are going to be costy, no doubt about it but it looks like I'll be getting at least one set.

The ride armours look good too, I actually these more then Megahouse's ones.
Anavel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did they have to be brown?
>
> Looks like chocolate, or poo....

I dunno' a chocolicious poo variant might be kind of cool. Better yet, a chocolate tlead just in time for easter would be frickin sweet.

I really like that these are in 1/18 and 1/48 scale, both mix and match friendly scales. Looks like the CMs are the ones to beat.
I don't think CM's reworked them at all. The original TLEAD prototype showed at least two out of the four missile bays, and I still see those odd curved panel lines that go across the chest. The Legioss looks the same, too.

And if the TLEAD is 17 cm tall, as Yaco seems to be reporting, the scale of the fighter combo is around 1/72, unless my math is wrong.
I did not notice until last night that the arms in fighter mode are way to close together. That really may be a deal breaker for me. I don't know why but that just doesn't look right and I don't know why CM would change the design on that SO radically. Anyone know if this display is just mis-transformed or mis-designed? Or is this some obscure line art/master design version I am not aware of? :P
It looked similar to that in some of the episodes. It's definitely not "line-art accurate," but I like what they did with the design.
Matt read the text and it says that the Legioss is supposed to be evocative of the similarly-sized 1/48 Imai kit, so no shrinky-dink bait-and-switch going on here. Could have been cool, though.
More info here:

[www.amiami.com]

All three color variants are being produced, they start arriving in late February, and will be priced at 29,400 yen (about $257). If interested, I would keep watching HLJ's MOSPEADA listings for early bird pre-orders:

[www.hlj.com]
I think these look great, and I'm going to bite my tongue on any minor cosmetic grips because I'm just happy to get a quality Legioss finally. Well, presumably a quality toy. Don't fail us now, CMs!

And yes, I'll be watching HLJ like a hawk. Typically their 5% EB doesn't add up to much, but it should make a noticable difference on this set.
That's awesome. The nipples are a little disturbing, but I'll bite my tongue as the previous poster suggested. Unfortunately, at that price I definitely can't get all 3. Which color should I choose..
Anonymous User
Looks great but damn its expensive. Looks like I'll be passing on this one.
eriku Wrote:
> And yes, I'll be watching HLJ like a hawk.
> Typically their 5% EB doesn't add up to much, but
> it should make a noticable difference on this set.

Hobby Search sometimes has better preorder discounts, but the Legioss hasn't shown up yet:

[www.1999.co.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Uh, does this image just not look right to you guys???

Isn't the Legioss' top surface supposed to be aligned with the top of the TREAD? Or is this just some sort of mid-transformed pic? (hope so!)
I can live with it. I'm mainly getting this to have a TLEAD toy. Viva la flying brick.

I think I'm going to wait for the green one, though.
Looks fine to me. At this point I DO NOT CARE if it's not "anime-accurate". I feel lucky to have not only a Legioss/Tlead set coming out, but one that should actually be a quality toy. I'm not gonna bitch about anything, unless it falls apart in my hands when I get it.

A lot of the folks at Macross World really seem to hate this toy after the last images surfaced. I'm starting to think people have gotten too picky and too complacent about design/accuracy. Plenty of people love old vintage toys that are wonderfully durable and playable but also seriously deviate from animation designs. Why is it that new toys cannot make any comprimises lest they get picked apart by the same complacent fans who are OK with the vintage toys? I mean, compare this set to a Gakken.

Am I the only one that just wants a GOOD TOY that represents a mecha design I love and can be played with? Hell, I would have been fine with the Toynami Legioss had it not crumbled like an unearthed Pharaoh in my hands.
eriku Wrote:
> Am I the only one that just wants a GOOD TOY that
> represents a mecha design I love and can be played
> with?

Nope, I'm with you. All transforming designs use some degree of "anime magic" to accomplish what they do, so I can totally accept some sort of compromise in the design if it means that it's going to be fun and durable.
I agree completely, but MW is known for obsession with lineart. Impossible to reason with those people.

On the other hand, I do think that durability/quality/whatever could be a real concern with these CM's toys. Although CM's has shown the ability to produce high quality stuff, they have not always chosen to do so. :) Also, they mention the PVC content very prominently. (I'm very hopeful that these will turn out great, though, and I'd be willing to accept a small amount of crappiness just to great a tread.)
No, the bike's not too small and it doesn't look that green...wait, never mind.

Unless, the final production run is going to be painted purple and sculpted to look like a chubby dinosaur--and assuming that the thing is way more durable than CMs's other transformable toys--then it looks perfect.

As far as accuracy, for goodness sake, some of these 80s mecha designs looked different from scene to scene.
I wonder why so many people at MW even waste their time with toys instead of just keeping a file cabinet full of lineart and blueprints to admire. So far I'm the only person over there willing to even give this thing a chance. Everyone else has written it off as 'garbage'. Although one person said if it came out in the 1980's they'd be interested. LOL

Anyway, I don't mean to pick on MW, it's my second home.

Has anyone heard if the Legioss and Tlead will be released individually aside from just the set? I think CMs might sell a few more toys that way since not everyone is into the Tlead.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gentlemen, I apologize for not being clear in my worry about the look of the combined jets. When I asked, "does this image just not look right", I didn't mean with respect to the lineart. The lineart can blow me...twice. As can MW, incidentally.

What I meant was more along the lines of, does this look stupid to you?

Again, I care not a whit about accuracy, and toy playability and durability are absolutely paramount to me as well. I just think that the combined form looks kinda dumb--the two ships look disjointed instead of having a nice smooth transition from one to the other, making it look like a single vehicle.

That, and the Legioss' thruster/feet kinda jutting out to the sides and the vertical stabilizers not completely folding away into the forearms make the design look sorta shabby/half-assed to me. Again, lineart be damned; this is just my aesthetic gripe.

Oh, one last question: why is it "TLEAD", not "TREAD"? Is it an acronym or something, like "GERWALK"?

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
I always assumed Tlead and Tread were interchangable, and a result of the whole "r" and "l" Japanese translation quagmire.

I think the combination of the Legioss and Tlead by it's nature is very goofy looking, be it anime, lineart or toy, which is kind of why I dig it in the first place. It may not be joined properly in that pic, like they're showing how and where it links up or something. Or maybe that's how it has to sit without a stand? Hard to say without more pics.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh, one last question: why is it "TLEAD", not
> "TREAD"? Is it an acronym or something, like
> "GERWALK"?

According to Roger it's an acronym:
[toyboxdx.com]
Wow, I hate to keep making it an issue but the pure venom at MW has escalated to the point of giant red fonts and people theorizing that CMs didn't have enough money for this project to hire first-rate designers.

I'ma gonna make some popcorn and watch that thread all night, it's way too amusing.

That said, what was the last transforming toy CMs made? I'm not familiar enough with their releases to know the chronology.
$257!! FUCK THAT!!

Seriously, CM Corp has been making their stuff too expensive now. Their first release GGG wasn't that expensive for a high end item (I think I got it for $130).

I'm sorry, I can't support this. I wanted to because I really like the Legioss but not like that. Unless there's some major discount, I'll have to pass. I'm looking at the pics, what exactly makes this $257? Metal content? I don't see a lot of it.

Sorry to rant like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for the repost, Scope...and retroactive thanks to Roger! "TLEAD" it is.

eriku, stop it! You're making me want to head over to MW to witness the carnage. Consider my morbid curiosity titillated!

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> $257!! FUCK THAT!!

Vincent, do you actually have any Japanese robot toys? Why do you post on this board?

> I'm sorry, I can't support this.

Darn. I was really hoping you would. Guess I can forget about sleeping tonight.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
>Vincent, do you actually have any Japanese robot toys? Why do you post on this board?

[toyboxdx.com]

Stop thinking Im a nuisance with nothing of value to add. I happen to LOVE Japanese toys. I know your not fond of me for what I have to say sometimes but I'm entitled to say them.

Fine, you think it's worth that price point? Be my guest.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2007 09:43PM by Vincent Z..
Don't mess with Vince. He has a Konata.
Much as I enjoy laughing at MW, every now and then they come up with a real gem.
Describing the CM's Legioss and Tread shown above:
"It looks like a toaster humping a lawn dart."
Sanjeev Wrote:

> -----
> > $257!! FUCK THAT!!
>
> Vincent, do you actually have any Japanese robot
> toys? Why do you post on this board?
>
> > I'm sorry, I can't support this.
>
> Darn. I was really hoping you would. Guess I can
> forget about sleeping tonight.

Man, sometimes you go a bit overboard. This was unnecessarily harsh.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> $257!! FUCK THAT!!

I'm with you on this one.

> I'm looking at the pics, what
> exactly makes this $257? Metal content? I don't see a lot of it.

I agree. For me ... unless it is jumbo machinder-size, pass.
I'm surprised that the price surprises anyone.
Anonymous User
I was expecting something closer to 200. Plus I'm pretty disappointed in the way the thing looks. Armo Soldier mode is alright. The TLEAD looks ok by itself in both modes. The legios in armo fighter mode, and combined legioss TLEAD just look awful
I think CMs's logic is somewhere along these lines:

"Hey! We charged you saps $130 for a smallish diecast Ingram. A Legioss/Tlead combo is like two Ingrams!"

Yes, the price is not exactly small change. Yes, perhaps people shouldn't be flamed for getting (over)excited about the price. Yes, this is a wonderful design from a wonderful show.

[Quick aside: I recently watched the Robotech New Generation series again--yes, I know, it's not Mospeada--but man, it really holds up. It's a really good show even today. And from what I understand, it wasn't that different from Mospeada.]

Anyway, personally, I think you all should be banned.
Anonymous User
gingaio Wrote:
> Anyway, personally, I think you all should be
> banned.

Except for that Jes fellow. He seemed like a nice guy.
Anavel Wrote:
> Except for that Jes fellow. He seemed like a nice
> guy.

Yeah, I heard he had a real keen sense of smell.
While I do have confidence in CM's ability to produce a quality toy, the price point of "2 x Ingram" IS bloody high. This will not be an impulse buy for me unlike the more manageable ride armor toys. I will definitely have to see the actual product before plonking down the cash.

OTOH, the more "accurate" TLEAD by Toynami is still in the works. The only problem is that the colors probably won't match the Aoshima-edition's anime-hues. They should grab the 'improved' molds and redo the lot...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Warrhead Wrote:
> Yeah, I heard he had a real keen sense of smell.

Haahahaha!!

My apologies to Vince...I wasn't thinking with my racist comments. That wasn't me; that was my dad... ;)

And damn you, Andrew, for making me google "Konata"!

Anyway, just to put the numbers into perspective, with the discount offered on amiami.com (yes, I've ordered from them before--they're legit), the CM's set comes to $202.47...NOT $257 or whatever.

Toynami/Aoshima's set will come to--what--$180??? Consider the extra $20 insurance that you're getting a toy that (hopefully) won't disintegrate to the touch!

Isn't it funny how these new pics and price info could potentially swing this camp back in favor of the Toynami/Aoshima set??
It seems a lot of people would rather pay a little less for something that doesn't hold together and falls apart rather than invest a little more to get something well-made and quality. True Americans I tell ya.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2007 10:06AM by eriku.
>My apologies to Vince...I wasn't thinking with my racist comments. That wasn't me; that was my dad... ;)

It's fine.

>Anyway, just to put the numbers into perspective, with the discount offered on amiami.com (yes, I've ordered from them before--they're legit), the CM's set comes to $202.47...NOT $257 or whatever.

Still, doesn't seem to be $200 worth of toy there. The upcoming SOC Godmarz, THAT looks like $200 worth of toy since it's around 13in, lots of metal and engineering.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer