CM's Corp Patlabor

Posted by cohiba 
Why, by brute force of course ;-)

[toyboxdx.com]
Looks like your Taisyo's have more PVC in the shoulders. Mine have it almost entirely cut out. Time to whip out the styrene card, I suppose...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
When I did mine, I used Green Stuff putty to build up around the axle on one, and filled the entire shoulder socket with Sillicone caulk for the other, Both methods worked pretty well, and are probably a little more robust than drifand's method, as the amount of material inside there when you cut the shoulders off seems to be a bit hit or miss.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Now that I've had some time to detail up and play with the CM's AVS-98 duo, I thought I'd share some more pix with the 'Labor nuts here :-)

(D)Evolution of a high-spec product. Life imitates art: just as in the anime, CM's AVS-98 Economy and Mk-II Standard are 'cheaper' variants of the original pricey AV-98 Ingram.

All-plastic construction with the best quality to-date for a 'Mecha Action' Patlabor figure. The Peacemaker was iffy on its PVC finishing and the Brocken was downright broken with its terrible joints. I've covered most of the screw holes with colored stickers.

Here's my take on TV episode 31 'Tragedy in the Rain'... Asuma brashly takes the showroom model Economy for a spin on the last day of the Tokyo Labor Show, and found the joints and reaction sluggish compared to the finely tuned Ingrams.

Ohta confronts Asuma over his irresponsible actions. Before they come to blows, Schaft enters the fray.

A container truck comes between the two and out springs the Griffon!

Ohta typically and literally loses his head in seconds even as Asuma charges forward...

The Griffon fights with 'life-like' motions and quickly dispatches the underpowered Economy model.

As the Griffon lifts up the pulverised AVS-98, Ohta fires off a salvo of shots in desperation, only to smash into the back of the AVS.

With a mighty throw, the Griffon takes out both labors, leaving a stunned but alive Asuma to retrieve the operating disk and return it to a worried Noa.

Of course, the Griffon flies off in the end leaving the remains of SV2 in the rain.
Next up is TV episode 39 'Mass Production Plans', in which Shinohara Heavy Industries revamped the disastrous AVS-98 Economy into the more powerful AVS-98 Mk-II Standard. One by one, the SV2 pilots - Noa, Ohta and Gomioka (from platoon 1) - put the new Labor thru its paces. As it learns the pilots' movements, the machine becomes more efficient, until SHH manager Jitsuyama declares the Mk-II is ready for a one-on-one fight with its predecessor, the Ingram...

Noa is selected to face off the Mk-II, which is piloted by a factory test pilot. It will be a match of newer technology versus greater experience.

Armed with a staff, the Mk-II is ordered to attack while the Ingram must defend. The Mk-II charges forward in an instant, but Noa is focused and waits for the right moment.

As the Mk-II comes within range, Noa side-steps and trips the new machine, disarming it in the blink of an eye. From the observation deck, Jitsuyama blurts out 'IMPOSSIBLE!'

Noa's Ingram snatches the staff and taps the downed Mk-II in victory. Inside the cockpit the stunned test pilot is fuming mad at his 'failure'.

The Ingram turns away, as if dismissing the threat. The enraged pilot picks the Mk-II up off the floor...

... and makes a cowardly attack from behind!

Without missing a beat, Noa grabs the Mk-II's arms and judo-throws it onto the floor.

Noa finshes the move with an arm lock. Jitsuyama tells his pilot to quit. The Mk-II has been defeated!

Following the fight, Cpt. Nagumo could not accept the Mk-II as an 'upgrade' and poor Platoon 1 had to soldier on with their old Pythons... until the advent of the vastly superior AV-0 Peacemaker. The End.
You're such a Patlabor geek, Drifand! :)

But that was a lot of fun! Great job!
Haha, I love these! The Economy story a little more than the Mk-II one... somehow the action in that series of shots is just more vivid.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Nice little action pictorial drifand! Thanks for the entertaining, enjoyable pictorial!

You did an excellent job!
Anonymous User
Incredible! Great stuff as usual.
If anyone is still looking for the sold-out Pickel-kun sofubi, I saw it for sale in Hong Kong at Toyzone:

[www.toyzone.com.hk]

They had the Pickel in brown and red, as well as the Hercules and Taisyo (work and TV)... all new in the box. These aren't listed on their site but you could email them if you're interested.
The Pickel really just takes up too much space. I'm glad to have one, but only because I paid next to nothing for it. The others are fantastic tho... definitely recommend the Herc and Tyrant.

[prometheusrising.net]
I'm selling all my Pato-vinyls in case anyone's interested.
Anonymous User
I just got the av-0 the other night and within 10 minutes I was filled with rage. Its nowhere near as bad as the Brocken but it still has its fair share of problems. It does look very good so it's going on the shelf and won't be touched very often.

Roger do you still have any vinyls for sale?
Yep, all of them.
It's time to resurrect my favorite thread, because I have pics and a story:
[toyboxdx.com]

It's a Bandai kit, but it'll fit right alongside the CMs stuff.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 10:34PM by Prometheum5.
Anonymous User
Really fantastic job, Ben. The gloss of the MK paint sets it apart from other weathered model kits without distracting the eye from the overall presentation. It seems particularly appropriate for police mecha, since they have more reason to be a little showy (versus military field mecha).
Great to see someone having fun with the 1/60 Labor sofubi kits! I've had many chances to own the Python and Saturn but did not take it up for various reasons, not least my lack of tools and skills to do a bare-white kit any justice! At the moment I've packed up about 1/3 of my shelves in anticipation of moving to my own place later this year. So all my lovely labors are back in their boxes now. Hope to resurrect the shelves in time to come...
drifand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great to see someone having fun with the 1/60
> Labor sofubi kits! I've had many chances to own
> the Python and Saturn but did not take it up for
> various reasons, not least my lack of tools and
> skills to do a bare-white kit any justice! At the
> moment I've packed up about 1/3 of my shelves in
> anticipation of moving to my own place later this
> year. So all my lovely labors are back in their
> boxes now. Hope to resurrect the shelves in time
> to come...

Great to hear from you! The kits are actually colored vinyl... pale blue for the Python, navy for the Saturn, and white for the Economy, to match the box art. I have a second Python coming to make Yuuki's machine to match Gomioka's above, as well as the Saturn, but I'm tempted to get a third Python and try painting it 'toy style' like the CM's labors and use the vinyl color as the base color. They are cheap enough to play around with. Well, the Saturn and Python at least. The Economy seems much more expensive and rare... enough so that I'd rather try and score the MAS versions for cheap.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
I just got the Hercules, Taisyo and Pickel. These things are great but I wish the Taisyo had a bit more articulation. Strange thing is that two of the legs on the Pickel are pretty stiff and one quite a bit softer.
Anonymous User
It looks like CM'S is done with Patlabor but...

CM's Wish list

Python
Type Zero
Clash Buster
Hannibal
Saturn
HAL X-10
I was thinking the Pyro Buster would make an awesome sofubi labor. Hannibal would be great, since the model kit is the wrong scale, and I couldn't help but wish for an X-10 while watching that episode.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
someone else having drifand style fun

[www.toysdaily.com]
Dang, I really want the Economy mkI to go with the Saturn vinyl kit I have coming, but the price does not seem to have depreciated on those like some of the others. Really like to get the Wave Helldiver as well, but that seems tough to find. I'd even brave a MAS Zero and Brocken if I could get it for cheap enough.

[prometheusrising.net]
*BUMP*

HLJ has FINALLY discounted the Mk.II and Economy Labors, to a very decent 3,920 yen each.

We only had to wait 2.5 years for this day.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Guess who are in da house?

Da Pickles are in da house!

Being freed from the plastic trays:

They have some color differences, and only one joint:

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2011 04:19PM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - pickles1.jpg (87.5 KB)
open | download - pickles2.jpg (91 KB)
open | download - pickles3.jpg (110.3 KB)
open | download - pickles4.jpg (72.7 KB)
Doesn't the top of this plastic tray look suspiciously like the nuclear symbol? Omnimious, omnimious.

...and so it didn't take long before I discovered Pickle-Kun's real function: a racing horse (3-legged, so eeeeeeVIL) for the Tyrant! Scary.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2011 04:23PM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - nuclearsymbol.jpg (76 KB)
open | download - pickles5.jpg (97.2 KB)
The AVS-98 Standard yet again proves its worth in combat...

Let's fall apart:

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 03:48AM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - ohnos.jpg (48.3 KB)
open | download - ohnos3.jpg (123.4 KB)
open | download - ohnos2.jpg (109.7 KB)
open | download - sigh.jpg (112.9 KB)

Taking out the trashed...

So, my red OVA Brocken is basically a paraplegic with shattered joints INSIDE the cloth shrouds. When you got lemons, make lemonade. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 09:50AM by drifand.
Attachments:
open | download - Brocken Trashed.jpg (140.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...sucks that the Brocken sploded...but with the weathering, it looks kinda awesome as a downed labor!
Those brocken labors are amongst the shittiest modern toys ever produced.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I got the Ingram not all that long ago from one of HLJ's blowout sales. It seems okay so far, but should I be worrying about those joints under the cloth shrouds???
Sanjeev
Well, I got the Ingram not all that long ago from one of HLJ's blowout sales. It seems okay so far, but should I be worrying about those joints under the cloth shrouds???

No, the Brave Gokin Ingrams are completely different and some of the most perfect toys ever made. Except for the Zero, Economy, and MkII, which are diecast-free imitations of the Brave Gokins. Their major crime was being overpriced, but are otherwise decent mecha action figures.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5
No, the Brave Gokin Ingrams are completely different and some of the most perfect toys ever made.

Seconded. If I could go back to clearance times, I'd probably buy like three more.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn--helluva endorsement! Well, I like the toy well enough so far...I guess I'm just not all that hot for the mecha's design, itself. Love the show, though!

Now if they did a Dougram in that style/quality...oh heavens... ;)
Sanjeev
I guess I'm just not all that hot for the mecha's design, itself.

You are a monster.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Rowr!

Nah, for real...when Patlabor first came out in the late 80's, I kinda saw it as a sort of refinement of the "early-modern" mecha design aesthetic (y'know--designs like in Zeta Gundam, Layzner, and others). At the time, those designs blew my mind...and I really loved them. These were like the Lamborghini Countach of robots to me!

But along the way, my own aesthetics evolved and became...postmodern?? Well, whatever. Now, I appreciate doofy tanks-with-legs like Dougram or original MS Gundam more (when it comes to mecha/"real" robots). So, uh, going back to the car analogy...I now kinda prefer a '69 Mustang to that 80's Countach..?
Just to add on to the relative (de)merits of the Mecha Action labors: strictly speaking, only the AVS Economy and Mark-II are truly well made. Like Prometheum5 said, these two were metal-free versions of the Brave Gohkin Patlabors. The internal joints and skeletons are sturdy and the body parts are injection molded plastics.

The AV-0 Peacemaker and Brocken were NOT made to the same standard. The AV-0 still had some plastic parts – chest with opening holster, shoulders with clear red patrol lights, forearms with opening baton compartment on the left side, detachable shield held by 2 'internal bolts' corresponding to the molded detail. Hard PVC went to the legs, feet, head, hands, upper arms.

The AV-0 joints are the same troublesome clickity-slotted components as used on the all-PVC Brocken, and just slightly less annoying because they did not break inside the shrouds (so far). However, they DO come loose from their sockets during play and you'd be sweating buckets trying to re-insert them purely by feel.

I remember being distinctly disappointed by the matte PVC finish of the Brockens right out of the box. I was hoping for the shiny finish that came with the AV-0s... that would have mitigated the joint troubles somewhat if I could at least have some labor-showroom worthy eye candy on my shelves. As it is, I'm still amazed that my blue Brocken (decked out as a good guys' GSG-9 labor) is still in one piece.

To end off, here's 2 more shots after I fiddled some more with the display:

The unlikely Trasher...

A different hatch...

Overall, I'm really pleased with what CM's managed to produce, blemishes and all. I've seen customs by a Japanese fan who made his own AV-0 Unit 3 as well as a beige-theme 'production' Mark-II that was seen in the last couple of OVA2 episodes (taken down by AV-0s). Right now I'm gearing up to obtain the W.H.A.M.! Helldiver, scale be damned. I think it'll look great next to my surviving Brocken. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 08:35AM by drifand.
Attachments:
open | download - Trasher.jpg (139.2 KB)
open | download - Economy_Hatch.jpg (114.7 KB)
Drif, I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Helldiver. It always looked great but seemed far, far overpriced.

[prometheusrising.net]
From the available reviews online, my impression is that it is a very nice finished model but lacking in poseability and accessories. For example, the trademark 'left-arm grasping cannon handle' pose is impossible to achieve. And the pre-production photos showed the serrated combat knife (used to great effect against the remotely piloted Brockens) which was omitted in the actual toy... damn shame cheapo.

But mostly, I was just concerned about its relative size to the CM's Ingram et al. Nobody (in the English speaking Internet) seemed to have any side-by-side pix, but I managed to composite one from an owner who shot the Helldiver next to a Griffon, and a Griffon next to an Ingram:

So, while the Helldiver is too big to be shown next to the AV-98 – I believe they were almost the same height 'IRL' – it looks ok next to beefier labors like the Griffon or Brocken.

The W.H.A.M. is probably as good as it gets for fans of the design... alternatives are the scalpers' darling Revoltech edition, or the ol' 1/60 kit. Some Brave Soul™ might try to hack the toy to make it more poseable but I doubt it'll happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 09:55PM by drifand.
Attachments:
open | download - ARL99-VS-CMS.JPG (484.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer