CM's Corp Patlabor

Posted by cohiba 
out now. will get mine over weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 01:01AM by MattAlt.
Review is up.

Looks like a nice figure, but apparently has limited poseability "below the waist". Hmmm.

What really freaks me out is the super-obvious screw holes on the forearms. When the forearms are prone, it is not too bad. But when the arms are supine, it looks awful. This seems like an obviously poor design choice that could have been fixed by either A) allowing the forearm armor to rotate or B) moving the screw holes 90 degrees to the posterior surface of the forearm armor when it is supine. What??? See the pic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2007 02:38PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - screw holes.JPG (77.3 KB)
That looks like a 'shop.
Scopedog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That looks like a 'shop.

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT SO YOU SHOULD ASK FUGLY INSTEAD.
MattAlt (Admin)
The review on that site is surprisingly upbeat:

"To be honest, I was really surprised that this is a well-made diecast toy. It being CM's I'd been expecting something of lower quality. The high ratio of diecast means it's got a pleasant 'hand-feel' and weight. The sculpt and proportions aren't half bad, either. They did a good job of including nearly every possible gimmick, to the point where if a certain Other Company released their own version they wouldn't be able to add too much more to the mix. (Maybe a working winch cable or something?)

In short, this is the definitive Ingram toy released to date. About the only thing I could have asked for are screw-hole covers and to work a bit harder on improving the posability of the legs, but otherwise I'm really satisfied with the toy. The price is definitely high. I'd have been more satisfied at a price of just under 10,000 yen, in the 8,000 - 9,000 yen range. Given the materials and workmanship that just feels like a more realistic price to me."
This is such a hard decision. I really don't think it's worth that much cash, but... but I LOVE PATLABOR! Probably end up buying one and eating bread & water for a month :P
If only I could convince my family that bread and water were wonderful things to eat day in and day out...
I just saw Great BaanGaan so this a no-go even more so then before. :(
I just bought mine and WOW! This thing is QUALITY!!! Even the riot shield is diecast! :P

It's SO STRANGE to see the 'COPYRIGHT HEADGEAR/BANDAI VISUAL/TFC' stamped on the back of a toybox not made by Bandai (or any of its minions)!

For now, I'm so tired of the No. 1 head, I'm showing mine as Ohta's No. 2 machine, with shotgun of course. I was worried about the poseability of the legs but in fact, it can pull off the best kneeling pose of any Ingram toy so far; yes, even more believable than the Revoltech's splayed thighs.

I'm definitely gonna get another one, but the Movie edition is already sold out everywhere... I think my best bet is to get the TV edition and swap the No. 1 head.

Now I wonder if a P2 version will ever get made. Or a Zero. Or a Griffon. I have to find a way to get my hands on the limited Tyrant Labor!!!

BTW, the toy is about 17~18cm tall, making it roughly 1/48 scale. I took out my recently acquired 1/48 Dougram for a quick comparison. You know what? The Ingram may be 3/5 the size of the Dougram but it definitely weighs MORE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2007 06:48AM by drifand.
Took a couple of quick snaps this evening...

I liked the 02 head's shared heritage with the original design. Just pop off the 'goggles' and you'll find an Ingram underneath.

The toy is either 1/48 scale or very close to it. My spare figure for Noa fits nicely in the vacated cockpit of the 1/48 Actic Gear Brutishdog. Both Noa and Ohta have been slightly detailed up around their faces with Gundam Markers.

The kneeling pose is actually pretty decent and the lights look good too. I'm quite amazed at how CM's managed to fit the wiring and still allow the shoulder armor to pivot on its own ball-joint.

RED ALERT! BERSERK LABORS ON THE LOOSE!!!
Really hope to see a CM's Type-Zero or Griffon someday soon.
I got this yesterday, and it really is a top notch toy. CM's quality and engineering is excellent, and their approach to toy design also captures what I love about vintage toys. Holding this toy, it almost feels like the 90's never happened.

Be careful when replacing the backpack peice that covers the battery - if the angle isn't correct, you can snap off the tiny little switch for the light. Luckily I was able to glue it back on, and loosening the housing of the switch has kept it from breaking off again (so far :)
Wow that looks amazing! We have a crop of really good releases lately.
Drifand, could you possibily shoot a quick video of the lights? :)

I'd really like to see how they look, even if it's just a phone camera video thing.
Whats the difference between movie and TV versions?
Warrhead Wrote:
> Whats the difference between movie and TV
> versions?

Movie
[www.cmscorp.jp]

TV
[www.cmscorp.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 01:53AM by Kwesi K..
Sweet. Thnaks for the info. I think I prefer the TV ver. 3 the best; is there a reason why the Movie ver. seems to be more sought after?
The movie verion set is the only one out so far, TV versions set is out later this month I believe.
Right-click on link to save (3.4MB). I'm not sure if the MPEG4 encoding is browser friendly...

[homepage.mac.com]

Oh, and the toy DOES NOT COME WITH SOUND >P
Anonymous User
Spiffy
Warrhead Wrote:
> Sweet. Thnaks for the info. I think I prefer the
> TV ver. 3 the best; is there a reason why the
> Movie ver. seems to be more sought after?

Based upon the older Bandai MG model sales, people seem to think the movie versions look better.
I don't mind the TV versions, but I do like the movie versions more.

Anyone else joined the club? Hope my Rumble turns out OK. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 02:17PM by drifand.
Attachments:
open | download - 05.jpg (103.6 KB)
Warrhead Wrote:
> Sweet. Thnaks for the info. I think I prefer the
> TV ver. 3 the best; is there a reason why the
> Movie ver. seems to be more sought after?

I also suspect its because it comes with the parts to make otah's labor.
Wow, Driff, I admire your dedication to go and buy three of these.

That is a sweet picture, any chance of a wallpaper sized image? :)
Damn you Drifand! I've been trying not to spend my tax return on toys!

Nice shot.
Anonymous User
I picked mine up a about 2 weeks back - it's a nice toy. And man, it sure is small! I must say this is the priciest toy I've picked up this year if I look at the size relative to what I'm paying. However, I've no regrets at all, it's awesome to see so much diecast packed in this little guy. And the light-up effects are just awesome. My only little gripe is that the feet are not poseable enough to execute a perfect A-stance.

To be frank, aside from displaying him, I don't really know what else to do with a toy that can't transform or combine. But that's just me. That said, I'd rate this toy a 8.8/10.
Amuro

I have to agree with you. Waiting for the perfect Patlabor toy has been the holy grail for me. I almost have all the versions that Bandai has put out through the years, including this one and non is the perfect version from my viewpoint...yet! Having said that I wonder what this perfect version would be? Could the perfect version be a Bandai Spec Layzner like figure where there is access to the internal skeleton? Or is it more of a playset scenario where there is the working carrier and the command car? I actually can't say.

I have to say that like you I agree that although the toy is a wonderful representation of the mecha, I am at a loss as to what I should do with the figure other than posing it in the various signature postures that it does on the show.
Well, isn't that a problem with most of the SOC's, for example? Most of them are non-transforming robots who do look cool, and can be posed, but you can't do anything more with them than you can with this guy. I still like to actually play with my toys, and the figures that can't actually be messed around with much do get kind of dull.

Well, unless you have them at work and they are great to fiddle with while you're on the phone...
This is already shaping up to be my candidate for Toy of the Year...if we still had those...

Anyway, is the TV version out? Anybody seen any reviews?
I've got a review of the movie version here, with video:\

[www.collectiondx.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------
[www.collectiondx.com]

"I think those Argentinians with the Italian IP addresses are the worst. You know what I call them? ArgItalians! Damn, I hates me some ArgItalians! Boo! "

--Gingaioh
Fort Max Wrote:
> Wow, Driff, I admire your dedication to go and buy
> three of these.
>
> That is a sweet picture, any chance of a wallpaper
> sized image? :)

Thanks, Fort Max. I've uploaded a selection of shots in 1280x960 size on the official Rumble notification thread:

[toyboxdx.com]

Hope you like those!

And if the rest of you actually want to play like kids with the Ingrams, then you've got to take the plunge and buy the 5000 yen sofubi TYRANT. Then you can smash 'em up all you want. If you dare. :D
Anonymous User
fujikuro Wrote:
> Well, isn't that a problem with most of the SOC's,
> for example? Most of them are non-transforming
> robots who do look cool, and can be posed, but you
> can't do anything more with them than you can with
> this guy.

That's why I buy only combiner SOCs. I've skipped all the rest. The only SOC I have that's the odd one out is GX-01. ;P

Btw, I would go absolutely bonkers if Bandai released a SOC Spec Ingram with diecast endoskeleton. Man, that would be an awesome update of the vintage Patlabor Clothgear series! It beats the heck out of mere light-up effects!
I read the following in a post over at Macrossworld, posted by SaveRobotech:

"When I picked up the new issue of Hobby Japan, I looked through a few other hobby mags and saw a full page CM's add in one of them and it looks like the Legioss/TREAD will not be Brave Gokin09. The add shows that the Brave Gokin09 will be a Patlabor Griffon."

If this is true then, sweet.
Definitely makes the most sense... they can release the less popular underwater version first, get everyone drooling over it, then release the winged version and drive up sales of the TV edition Ingram once the fans finally cave in. :P

Still have my fingers crossed for a Zero, or better yet... Peacemaker.
I'm hoping they do it the same way as the first releases, including interchangeable parts for both underwater and winged versions with a single "core" labor. It would fit the current trend at least...
Anonymous User
more vinyls

Oh no...they are really gonna do it.

"So what are you into?"
"CM's Vinyl Labors"

Jeez, I guess I'll probably get both of these too.

The Pickle, while a nifty design, is a pretty weird choice. I was pretty sure if they continued doing vinyl labors, we'd see something like a Bulldog or a Hercules next.

I wonder why they list it as a Hishii labor though?
Yikes, my prediction is becoming a predicament! Another 5000 yen sofubi?!!! Sigh... what a way to become addicted. :-)

Looks like CM's sofubi-enemy sales strategy is succeeding where Bandai failed for their KR Faiz Orphenocs.

From my Hobby Japan 'Patlabor 3D Show' mook, it looks like the red version is from the the first episode of the original OVA where Noa threw her Ingram's detached arm at the Labor. Don't really recall the brown one in the TV series (which I still don't have decent DVDs of).

I used to confuse the 3-legged Pickel with the lookalike 4-legged Shinohara Crabman Highleg. In the comic, Noa uses one of the Crabman's detached legs to bean it over the head.
drifand, did you paint the black on the 02's head yourself? It looks good.
Ataru Wrote:
> drifand, did you paint the black on the 02's head
> yourself? It looks good.

Yes, I did. The stock No. 2 head is the clean white version from the Movie, so I took reference from my diorama books and painted the black areas with a Gundam Marker... You've GOT to do it if you've already splurged to get all 3 TV version Ingrams like me :-)
Anonymous User
more on the way, yet again,

[www.mpsnet.co.jp]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer