[GLOWIES] Partners in crime!

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Before Gcrush ruins my surprise again... ;)

Got my box today, tore it open, and found two of the most splendid vinyls I've ever seen! Finally done! Once again, John Groff has come through...this time, with a pair of glowie kaiju that has me positively giddy!

Now, most folks know how much of a (showa) Mechagodzilla nut I am. 1975's "The Terror of Mechagodzilla" is my favorite old-school goji flick. The two main monsters in that movie, MG and Titanosaurus, have always appealed to me! Titanosaurus: a massive aquatic dinosaur...a huge and terrifying relic from pre-history! Mechagodzilla: the sinister cybernetic product of an alien civilization...without a soul, yet dripping with evil!

To have these two icons from my childhood rendered with such beauty is an absolute treat!! Both pieces were purchased, unbagged and unpainted, from separate sources. Why? Well, the painted glowie versions of these two put out by M1 for some Mandarake event just never did it for me.
[clubtokyo.org]
[clubtokyo.org]

John and I spent time discussing cool and unique ideas for paint schemes, and he came up with some amazing colors to which these photos simply don't do justice. Seriously--seeing these in person is a whole different experience. First off, the colors are simply off on my monitor (don't have any image editing software here for color-correcting). The purple on the MG is definitely a straight-up regal purple (it looks very bluish on my monitor). The pink, too, on Titanosaurus looks softer, more translucent, and more traditional "girlie" pink, for lack of a better way to describe it. The most striking thing about seeing these in person is that the purple and the pink are both metallic! The way the light reflects off their sculpts is just killer! The 3D texture of their surfaces just pops more vividly in person!

Check out John's images on the KaijuZoo site:
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
[www.kaijuzoo.com]

John's work is truly amazing!

Just for fun:

And to be clear, John can use a rainbow of translucent, as well as opaque, paints. These are, after all, glowies, right!? ;)

I love the effect of the blue bumps on Titanosaurus. Also the "MG2" on Mechagodzilla's arms. And MG's eyes? All John's idea! Fantastic!

Thanks for looking, all!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 09:38AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - team-up_.jpg (464.5 KB)
open | download - confront_.jpg (435.6 KB)
open | download - titano_glow_.jpg (182.7 KB)
open | download - mg_glow_.jpg (203.6 KB)
cae
These are truly amazing.

I've always dismissed plain glowies, now I think I'm needin' me a Chibull or two . . .

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Once again, John Groff has come
> through...this time, with a pair of glowie kaiju
> that has me positively giddy!

Sanjeev, what can I say but thank you !!! You are a marvelous client to work with, providing me strong characterful input in terms of color and placement. And yet allowing me the degree of artistic license to recommend, add or modify design effects along the way. Including the previous glow Manda, we have now completed three KaijuZoo paint commissions and I am very much looking forward to working on the next one!

So if anyone on this list (or your friends) are interested in a KaijuZoo commission, please check out my website for more completed projects and also see the new flyer that I have had printed up for G-Fest this weekend.
[www.kaijuzoo.com]

Thanks again!
John
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
G-Fan Dealer of the Month - Summer 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2006 08:58AM by kaijuzoo.
John,
Let me say that you may have converted me. Your customs have gotten me interested in glowies (and vinyls!) for the first time.

Sanjeev started it with his awesome glow pics and touch-up hints. Thanks for sharing, guys.

Jape
These are truly amazing! I am speeechless.
Man, I thought the Titano looked good - but that shot of MechaG glowing rocks the hizzouse. Excellent stuff, truly!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Incredible, no?

John, I love that flyer!! Great stuff! I, unfortunately, won't be making it to G-fest this year (again)...just like I won't be making it to the SDCC (again)...but I'll try to be there in spirit!

And folks better stay tuned...there'll be more glowie goodness coming from John in coming months!

[Edit: Well, for some reason, the ClubTokyo pics aren't coming through anymore. If you wanna see the standard painted glowies of these sculpts, go to clubtokyo.org, click the "Search" button at the top without filling in the text field. Then, from the character drop-down list, pick either "Titanosaurus" or "Mechagodzilla 1975". Check out the M1 sculpts!]

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2006 03:08PM by Sanjeev.
cae Wrote:
> These are truly amazing.
>
> I've always dismissed plain glowies, now I think
> I'm needin' me a Chibull or two . . .

You pick up a glowie Chibull... and I'll fix you up with a marvelous one-of-a-kind in the world painted glowie, deal ?? !! ;-)

Many thanks for your vote of confidence!

John G.
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
KaijuZoo Gallery [www.flickr.com]
japester Wrote:
> John,
> Let me say that you may have converted me. Your
> customs have gotten me interested in glowies (and
> vinyls!) for the first time.

Jape, thanks much for the thumbs up on my "3-dimensional kaiju artistry" !! Maybe you have something already (or would like one of my extra figures) to consider a custom KaijuZoo project in the future?
[www.kaijuzoo.com]

Thx again!

John G.
[www.kaijuzoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2006 06:37PM by kaijuzoo.
mpchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These are truly amazing! I am speeechless.

And after replying to all these very nice comments, then I'll be speechless too !!
:-) Truly, thx for your kind words and props!

John G.
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
Gcrush Wrote:
> Man, I thought the Titano looked good - but that
> shot of MechaG glowing rocks the hizzouse.
> Excellent stuff, truly!

Great, now we can talk about someone else like Sanjeev and all the kewl pics he can take of his glowies. He does have a skill with the camera and composition.

I do have to say though that my idea to leave the center of the MechaG eyeball's blank, ... well yes, that IS what rocks the house !!

John G.
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
cae
> You pick up a glowie Chibull

I'm on it . . .

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer