MPC Voltron(pics and mini-review)

Posted by Gold 
Hi all, here's a short review of the MPC Toynami Voltron.
(Thanks to www.greattoys.net for the unit)

First off, The box comes with an outer white shipping box. But be sure to double check the number on top of the white box to see if it matches with the number on the certificate inside and on the Black Lion's chin(yes the number is printed under it's chin as well..go figure).

For some strange reason mine has the number #01323 of 15,000 on the white box, but has the #01333 on the toy and the certificate.. must've been a factory mix-up.. sigh..

The inner box is in classic "Toynami-style" Hardcover Book-styled packaging. With 2 trays inside. Top tray has Black, Green. Red Lions and the shield, while lower tray has Blue and Yellow Lions and the Sword.

For the Toy itself:
The good:
-Lots of diecast! Impressively almost 80-90% of the toy is metal.
-Great paint detail. No bleeds and the chest emblem is engraved and not just a sticker.

-Shiny Chrome

-has multiple points of articulation and has ratchet joints on the knees, elbows and thighs. There's also a Balljoint in every Lion's neck. Nice.

-The proportions are just right. I didn't find it to be skinny at all. In fact, comparing it to the Godaikin(note: the toy in the pic is a diecast Taiwan bootleg of the old Godaikin. But it's essentially the same as the original) the Godaikin now looks "chubby" to me.

-The Black lion looks good. The proportions are a nice update from the old version.

The Bad:
-plastic quality not so good. The worst of it is that the plastic parts are located at the connection pegs of Green and Red lion and at the thigh joints of Volton.

The peg reminds me of the ones used on old TF G1 Superion, when the plastic ages there is a good chance it will go brittle and easily snap apart since it's such a small piece. The toy is definitely not intended for playwear.

One should also remember to insert the connection peg ALL THE WAY IN.. I didn't realize this until Red Lion popped out and crashed on the table. I almost had a heart attack.

The Ugly:
-Yeeeesshh! The puny wings on Voltron really look small. I wish they could've made the wings bigger and with better plastic and some added paint applications(it's missing the white paint on the wing panels).

-Before handling the toy it's best to get a 3M wipe cloth and wipe down ALL the chrome parts. Strange but my unit had lots of faint smudges on the chrome. There was even a thumbprint on the BlackLion's thigh, which I couldn't remove. fortunately it's on the backside.

-Voltron has a waistjoint, unfortunately the BlackLion's tail pops out when move it.

Overall, I still like the toy, despite the negatives, it has presence. The not so good plastic joints(especially the Black lion's thighs/groinjoint) show that it's not meant for heavy playwear and is only intended to be a show piece

I prefer the MPC Voltron over the SOC Zambot3. Sure the Zambot had a lot of weapons, accessories, but when it gets down to the bots themselves, Voltron is taller, has more diecast, chromed, and has more articulation(I really hated the fact that the Zambot couldn't move from the waist down).

Oh, before I forget, best of all the combined MPC Voltron toy weighs 1.2Kilograms! It's officially the heaviest "non-vintage" toy in my collection(the second being SOC Dacouga, that clocked in at 1120Grams) :)

BTW there was a rumor that Toynami only made 5,000pieces for now, and will make the following 10,000 only when the first batch gets sold out. Although I have no idea if this is true or not.

:)
Gold

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 01:37AM by Gold.
Great little review. Thanks! I didn't think I'd be picking this up, but I've been really surprised by the quality I've been seeing, negatives aside, especially in these pictures of yours.

Hey, for those in the US, I found a place accepting pre-orders for the Volton for 127.50 shipped. I've never bought from these guys before, but they seem legit:
[www.scifigenre.com]
MY GOD!!

Other than the few problems listed (the wings should be bigger) this is definetly the
best product Toynami has put out. HUGE improvement over their Alphas.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Thanks M3Patterns :)

Yeah, I agree with you Vincent, this toy is light years ahead of any previous Toynami items in terms of diecast overall presentation. I just wished they'd come up with better connectors for the Red and Green lions.

For once I'm impressed Toynami had the foresight to use ratchet joints on this toy.:)

Gold
Maybe some enterprising kitbasher can recast the joints in white metal and sell them to heartbroken owners?
The fifth picture down with the green lion coming at you is the money shot!
It would look just like the anime if the face was turned a little more toward the camera. I like the toy, I think it rocks. It does look a little skinny to me and the wings are a little anemic but overall it surpasses my expectations. Especially with the chrome legs.

What about all the accesories that the original popy or Godaikin had? Like the blades that would go in the lion's teeth? Is the starshield and the sword the only accesories?

Thanks for posting the mini-review. Since most lazy people like me only read reviews and ask for reviews it is nice that some of us provide a review once in a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 11:42PM by robomatt.
I would love to see some pics from behind just to see if they improved the locking tail mechanism on black lion. My old Voltron would have the saggy tail syndrome and made my Voltron look like Ron Jeremy or like he was taking a long yellow dump. Plus are the arms articulated enough for Voltron to hold his sword with boths hands too immitate the overhead slash like on the show.
It looks like they dropped the ball joined hips and shoulders seen on the individual lions in early prototype pix, can you confirm this?

Great pictures!
Shaggydog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like they dropped the ball joined hips
> and shoulders seen on the individual lions in
> early prototype pix, can you confirm this?
>
> Great pictures!

you know i just noticed that now that you pointed it out. if they are missing that sucks because that was one of the major things that make this so cool. the poses with the arms and legs spread out looked killer.

Anonymous User
I think that rumor is might be true. The owner at my usual toy haunt told me there are apparently 'shortages' of this unit. While he's not bringing these into Singapore, he's shipping them to Malaysia where there's apparently greater demand for the units.

Meanwhile, I've only seen one up for sale at SGD$240 (which is about US$142) at another store (Ng's Collectibles). Doesn't look like he's got more than 1 for sale. Man.. the box is THICK. I've opened the tray, and I agree the plastic quality could have been better, but thank God it's over 50% diecast. The chrome is sweet, and the paint quality has improved a quite a bit since the Masterpiece Alphas (I have a Rook Alpha which I'm selling). The only gripe I have is that the factory workers could have taken a bit more care when snipping the plastic bits off the branches, because I could see the chips. It could have been slightly closer to SOC quality if it weren't for that.

Another gripe I have are that the panels on the blue & yellow lions don't open up to reveal hidden missle launchers like the Popy ones. At this size & given the amount of time they had for development, Toynami could've packed more details since they already did an awesome job with the poseability & proportions. It doesn't take much to include those itsy-bitsy little details that could have made this the ultimate diecast robot of the year (but maybe it still is.. 2 bad he's disqualified from the TOTY polls).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 09:42PM by Amuro-Ray.
The lion heads don't fire, right?

So many questions, so few answers...
Hehe, Thanks RoboMatt, sorry it took so long to reply, we're in different time zones :) plus I was busy doing the General Dark pic review.

First off, sorry, that's as far the head can go when doing that shot("green lion coming at you"), since the "space" for Voltron's chin can go only that far. If I'd moved it any further, Voltron would be looking up.

Nope, no extra individual weapons for the lions.. all we get is the Sword and shield(I haven't tried using the Godaikin weapons on the Toynami though.. maybe later).

Sorry Chen, the tail connection is still the same as the Godaikin on the Black Lion.. tends to sag if you don't put it properly in place(that's why the tail pops out when you swivel the waist joint)

Shaggydog, looks like they did drop the balljointed legs. it looks like they only gave some space/allowance in the legs instead(unlike the old Godaikin the legs were really sticking close to the body).

Yep, the "hands" of Voltron don't fire. This toy is 100% projectile and gimmicks-free(except for the ability to merge/transform) :). Would've been nice too if the "hidden" launchers on the Blue and Yellow lions were incorporated.

Thanks to Chen for this photo idea. I didn't think of trying this stunt until you mentioned it :) Please take note this pic is taken as is, no photoshop tricks.

I just tried to place a plastic piece(Reissue Galvatron's gun) under Blue Lion for support. I just posed it and took as many pics as I could for fear the whole thing could come crashing down any second, luckily the balance held:)

Also, it's a good that the "groin" joints can move. Voltron's legs are practically "crossed" here. Nice touch. I'm even more impressed with the toy now. Thanks for the idea Chen :)

Gold
FORM BLAZING SWORD!!!!! Ha Ha! That is how every Voltron episode ended.

I defy any toy that came out this year that is a complex combining toy to do the over the head Samurai pose in the last picture. Completely cool!

Sombody needs to make the accessories for this toy. It is dissapointing Toynami did not include them. There is not much technically that would have had to go into them. Basically a good sculpt and make sure they fit. It still looks to be a great toy.

I like the toy but the Voltron cartoon was so utterly predictable. Every single monster gets destroyed with the same exact move. So stupid.
every time i see mpc voltorn i like it more. i might just pay full msrp for this guy when it comes out in the usa. $150 with free shipping seems to be a good deal for such a big diacast combiner robo. but i dont know about you guys but i am alittle pi$$ed at Toynami they released this toy in asian first. it seems like toynami gave up on the usa customers.

Hmm...this toy does seem to have turned out well. I would have pre-ordered it had it been a Bandai or Takara product. Can't beat a big die-cast Voltron toy. I just might have to get it. Hopefully it's as good as it looks in those pictures by Gold. Now where do I go to get one for a decent price?
I know bbts has them, and another poster gave a link for a mpc voltron for 120.00.. but i've never ordered from them... Actually i'm kinda surprised that it wasnt released in the us first... wonder why..?? anyway im totally hyped about this bad boy!, more so than i have been in awhile.. nothings been doing it for me latley.. i wonder if they have plans for a vehicle voltron- that would be Rad!! :-)
dairugger.

is there anyway you can post the $120 for mpc voltron again? i think i bookmarked it but for some reason i can not find it.
sure wilson- tho i cant take credit, someone else pointed this out..

[www.scifigenre.com]
found it- thanks for the great find M3Patterns!

Re: MPC Voltron(pics and mini-review)
Posted by: M3Patterns (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:50AM

"Great little review. Thanks! I didn't think I'd be picking this up, but I've been really surprised by the quality I've been seeing, negatives aside, especially in these pictures of yours.

Hey, for those in the US, I found a place accepting pre-orders for the Volton for 127.50 shipped. I've never bought from these guys before, but they seem legit:
[www.scifigenre.com]"
dairugger

thank you. i just preordered and it should be here sometime between 1/2/06 and 1/12/06. its a really good deal for $127 with free shipping and tax free. time to cross fingers untill item is received because i never ordered anything from this site b4.

wilson.
hey wilson- let me know how that goes!, cause i have it preordered with bbts.com- I've done mucho business with them so i figured it was a safe bet- but its always good to have choices! :-) oh- and thanks for the cool optimus!
Hi All,
I just got the MPC Voltron and IMO Toynami has made up for all its past short comings. First of all... for you die-cast lovers......the thing is a brick and you could definately mame a family member with this thing. Paint and overall engineering appear to be top notch, almost Bandai quality, man thats scary huh? If all Toynami products were this good they would have a solid rep like Bandai and not the hit or miss one they have now. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase, but its too bad that this wasnt made by a Japanese company because its most certainly TOTY material!
Sanjeev (Admin)
dairugger Wrote:
> ...i wonder if
> they have plans for a vehicle voltron- that would
> be Rad!! :-)

Rad, indeed!

TOYNAMI, ARE YOU LISTENING!?

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
I gotta be the only person who disliked the Vehicle Voltron. Hell I still prefer the Lion Voltron first, then Voltron 2! Way to many parts to Vehicle Voltron.

However, if they spiced up the details and perhaps threw in a RoBeast for him to battle in a Toynsami re-do of him.. then maybe I'l be interested.
Do the same guys that own the rights to Golion in North America own the rights to Dairugger? Because I know that the Vehicle Voltron did show up in the Lion Voltron comic book so maybe there is a possibility that Toynami could get those rights and produce a new version of Dairugger. But I'm guessing that if they do we won't see one for a loooong time, they still have to produce the Beta fighters and possible Cyclones and then start designing a new Dairugger.
Are the connection points really that fragile?

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Are the connection points really that fragile?

A bit, since the red and green lion's connection pegs are a bit small and it's made from plastic, it's a possibility that a few years later it might tend to crack or break at the neck if the plastic becomes brittle with age.

Gold

Hi everyone, this is my first post over here. Looks like you guys have a cool thing going over here. I'm glad I found this site!

Gold, very nice review! I already pre-ordered my MPC Voltron and it should be in on 1/4/05. I can't wait!

For those who got it, is there any news of a MPC Vehicle Voltron in the instruction manual? Also is there any news of a second box set with the lion weapons? Now that would be SWEET! That was one of the things that made my old Lionbot so cool.

http://sdfcommander.tripod.com/
Thanks SDFCommander, nope no indications that there will be a weapons kit or Vehicle Voltron to come from the line(based soley on the packaging of MPC Lion Voltron). No catalogues were included in the box either, just the manual.

Gold
Gold, is there a sticker sheet?

Hehe nope, no stickers either.

Gold
Hey thanks again Gold. Until mine comes I'm living off of those beautiful pictures of yours :)

The good is that all the necessary stickers and markings are either already applied or painted.

The bad is that it does not allow for customizing which Toynami usually allows in their pieces.

I realize you have a life, but could you do some comparison shots of the old Golion lions with their MPC Voltron counterparts like you did with the Black Lion?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 12:49PM by SDFcommander.
Hehe, I'm out of town at the moment, sorry. I'll try to get some pics up when I get back.

Gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 11:26PM by Gold.
I'm patiently waiting for my mpc voltron from bbts- IT JUST SHIPPED!! I havent been this excited about a toy in awhile... and as sad as it seems- I only got excited about the gekiganger diecast AFTER i had to sell it... I gotta find another one!!! :-) sellin toys sucks!
dairugger Wrote:
> I'm patiently waiting for my mpc voltron from
> bbts- IT JUST SHIPPED!! I havent been this excited
> about a toy in awhile... and as sad as it seems- I
> only got excited about the gekiganger diecast
> AFTER i had to sell it... I gotta find another
> one!!! :-) sellin toys sucks!

I agree with you on both counts dairugger. I also just got my MPC Voltron :) :) :) and selling toys does suck :(

Overall I'm pretty impressed. The look and feel of the diecast metal is very evident. Nice! I also forgot how much I like shiny chrome on my toys!

The negative is that arm attachment that Gold mentioned. It does seem a little weak. Be sure to inspect yours. Beleive it or not, but the platic part at the base where the piece attached to my Green Lion was cracked so you could see the attachment metal pin inside :( I guess that was the price of having stiff joints. I used some superglue in the crack and let it set for a day and fixed. No problems.

I was also impressed with how many jounts were ball jointed or ratched. And a cool feature is that you can rotate the elbo joint on the Green and Red Lions 360 on both halves of the lions. Something I thought lacked in my orginal Golion set.

The lack of "hidden" missle launchers was a let down, but the sculpt, little details and poesability are a nice touch. Also, no showing screws. Toynami did a good job of covering up the screw holes with platic caps that match the body of the lions. Nice!

The dislpay box/book has to be one of the best looking cases I've seen. This time the front and back of the book opens up to reveal the lions inside. Very Nice!

Overall, I'm glad I got it. A must for any Voltron fan, not if they could just release the DVD state side that would be just gravy.

At the moment, I'm woking on panel lining the lions as well as painting in those white panels on the wings of Black Lion as well as the red squares on Black Lion's ears. SWEET!

Thanks for the heads up about the arm connectors! Thats why i love this board-everyones so great! and be sure to post pics of your modifications, k?
Definetly looks like a fun Voltron. Although I still really like Trendmasters 18inch combining Voltron.

dairugger Wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up about the arm connectors!
> Thats why i love this board-everyones so great!
> and be sure to post pics of your modifications, k?

Sure thing. Here are a couple of quick pictures I took on my progress. I really like how the panel lining on the Yellow Lion turned out. The tail also looks nice.

Also, the paint I applied to the tips on the wings on the Black Lion did not take plus it took 4 coats just to cover the red. I pealed the paint off and made my own stickers out of some white labels I had and BAM! Looks better than the paint.

Also, I was able to add those little white circles on the head of the Red Lion. The details on the back of the Green Lion really come out.

Things will really look great when I panel line the legs. The chrome is not the easiest to do, but it will look good.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 11:48PM by SDFcommander.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer