The new Toybox DX paradigm: ERASERS.

Posted by Roger 
Anonymous User
So, I got this gigantic lot of MACROSS erasers - including the giant, multi-part VF-1J Battroid variable eraser.

Naturally, many of them are bent into distorted poses, which makes the hot-red large-size Destroid Tomahawk look like he's melting under a martian heat-ray, and makes the little pink & yellow Glaugs tumble over, and whatnot.

So, how can one straighten erasers that have gotten all bent out of shape? I know you can heat & cool sofubi and some PVC items into their proper shapes. But what about erasers.

(PS, I've got extras, and I'd be keen to trade for ones I don't have, and ones from Mospeada, Orguss, etc, etc...)
I straightened mine by placing them in a bowl and pouring boiling hot water on them. After about a minute they are extremely malleable. I then straightened them and placed them on a cold cookie sheet and placed them in the fridge. You may want to wedge something between really tricky spots, such as between the legs, so they keep a good shape as they cool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my website: www.zormaster.com
Anonymous User
Thanks! Did you happen to know the full extent of designs in the series? These are all the Takatoku 'real type' designs. I got...

Small-size:

Armored VF-1J
VF-1 Fighter (head looks like a 1A, but its tough to tell, really.)
VF-1J Battroid
Destroid Defender
Destroid Tomahawk
Destroid Spartan
Destroid Monster
Glaug Tactical Pod
Regult Tactical Pod (Standard type)
Gnerl Fighter Pod
MACROSS Cruiser Fortress
MACROSS Storm Attacker

Large Size:

Destroid Tomahawk
Destroid Spartan
Regult Tactical Pod (Standard type)

Multi-part VF-1J Battroid, with alternate parts to rebuild it into a fighter.

I'm assuming there's probably a small Phalanx, although its not picture in the artwork on the cool transparent, illustrated canister the collection came with. I expect there were larger-size erasers of the other mecha.

The Gnerl was cool to see in the lot! I'm missing the right wing for the Valkyrie Fighter re-configuration, according to the parts-list on the cool little cardboard separator box in the canister.

Neat stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 06:59PM by AcroRay.
Attachments:
open | download - TT Macross Erasers.jpg (225.3 KB)
Holy crap... I don't I ever realized before that erasers could be kinda cool... how do vintage erasers hold up tho? Do they dry out or split?

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Anonymous User
All of these seem as supple and moist as ever...
AcroRay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks! Did you happen to know the full extent of
> designs in the series? These are all the Takatoku
> 'real type' designs. I got...
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> Small-size:
>
> Armored VF-1J
> VF-1 Fighter (head looks like a 1A, but its tough
> to tell, really.)
> VF-1J Battroid
> Destroid Defender
> Destroid Tomahawk
> Destroid Spartan
> Destroid Monster
> Glaug Tactical Pod
> Regult Tactical Pod (Standard type)
> Gnerl Fighter Pod
> MACROSS Cruiser Fortress
> MACROSS Storm Attacker
>
> Large Size:
>
> Destroid Tomahawk
> Destroid Spartan
> Regult Tactical Pod (Standard type)
>
> Multi-part VF-1J Battroid, with alternate parts to
> rebuild it into a fighter.
>
> I'm assuming there's probably a small Phalanx,
> although its not picture in the artwork on the
> cool transparent, illustrated canister the
> collection came with. I expect there were
> larger-size erasers of the other mecha.
>
> The Gnerl was cool to see in the lot! I'm missing
> the right wing for the Valkyrie Fighter
> re-configuration, according to the parts-list on
> the cool little cardboard separator box in the
> canister.
>
> Neat stuff!

I've been meaning to get all my Macross erasers out and take an inventory. Ohsato, Takatoku and Seika Note all made erasers of similar scales. Next time I'm in the storage room I'll pull them all out and document the types.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous User
Zormaster- After looking through these, they are from multiple manufacturers.

For example, the Regults - two hot pink and two yellow - look different. The pinks are a little smaller, and have more shallow or different detail. The yellows are larger and more detailed. But all 4 have mostly the same pose, and only the pink ones have markings - some kanji on the bacl of one leg.

The trend is the same through the whole assortment. The big Valk piece, though, is from Takatoku, and is marked as such. The medium-sized Regult, and the two Destroids have no markings.
MattAlt (Admin)
Straightening goes against the entire ethos of the eraser.

Anonymous User
Well, isn't that what it looked like at the end of the last episode of the TV show?
AcroRay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zormaster- After looking through these, they are
> from multiple manufacturers.
>
> For example, the Regults - two hot pink and two
> yellow - look different. The pinks are a little
> smaller, and have more shallow or different
> detail. The yellows are larger and more detailed.
> But all 4 have mostly the same pose, and only the
> pink ones have markings - some kanji on the bacl
> of one leg.
>
> The trend is the same through the whole
> assortment. The big Valk piece, though, is from
> Takatoku, and is marked as such. The medium-sized
> Regult, and the two Destroids have no markings.

Cool. All of mine are still in boxes or bags, so I should be able to identify which ones come from each manufacturer.

Anonymous User
I snapped a couple of shots of the Macross erasers.

Here's the big Regult, which is about 3 & a quarter inches tall at the top of his uppermost guns.

It actually holds its shape pretty well for a while when you stand it up! But it will droop and fall. Winter cool helps...

Here's one of the little Armored Valkyries, which are only a little over an inch tall. I'm not certain offhand of the manufacturer for this one.

The little ones remind me of the tiny miniatures that came with the Dougram Kalnock and Stanrey games, or the VIFAM game I got from Matt a month or so ago. Lots of detail for a teenie, disposable bit of rubber.
Man, erasers are way cooler than I initially thought. They are SO something I don't need, but I can't help but be drawn to them.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Anonymous User
Being "drawn" to "erasers"...? Heheheheh....
Anonymous User
Do you remember that old eraser?

Very cool figures. They aren't really 'Erasers' though, in Japan they are called Keshigomu (keshi for short) which related to the type of rubber used to make them. They are very big in Gashapon machines and as boxed toys with candy. They make them of all types of cartoons, toy lines and video games.

I collect alot of them, but right now mostly SD Macross, Nintendo (mario, zelda, ghost n goblins), Spiral Zone, Muscle (Kinnikuman), etc...
Attachments:
open | download - macross sd keshi.jpg (31.5 KB)
open | download - spiral zone keshi.jpg (48.9 KB)
open | download - mario keshi.JPG (441.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Eric, good to see you here, man. Eric is a regular at Little Rubber Guys, the #1 forum for M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman stuff. You should post your custom t-shirts and hoodies on the OT forum here (got mine yesterday, in fact...rocked that shit in Boston--it was at all the townie bars we hit up!).

Anyway, those Spiral Zone keshi are pretty incredible. They never made any for the bad guys from the American cartoon, did they? I get the feeling there was basically *no* merch made in Japan for the baddies...
Anonymous User
hey Sanjeev, i didnt know you were on here. Glad to hear you got the hoodie ok and like it. :) and nah, thats pretty much all the Spiral Zone sculpts there are. would be sweet if they had made some villains.

and those Mospeada keshi are sweet, ive been trying to get some for awhile now. keep getting outbid. haha thanks for sharing though, those pics are nice.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm hardly a keshi collector of any stature. I have a few super deformed Toho and Ultra kaiju here and there, but that's mostly it.

This blue sumbitch, however, is my Albatross:

Blue PVC pencil-topper Grendizer. Had one as a little kid...loved the shit out of it. Eh, but you've heard this all before.

It just so happens that he's MUSCLE-sized, which kicks much ass...and now I'm trying to add my own (heh..well, not exactly my own!) contribution to the mix...

edit: weird...guess my attachment got nuked the first time around

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 10:07PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 203_0309.JPG (239.1 KB)
*edit - I'm dumb.

Lately I've been enticed by the Monster Hunter figs due to the hard fantasy monsters married with comical knights and wizards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 12:50PM by servbot30.
Familiar with this book? [www.mandarake.co.jp]
Looks like a zine wholey dedicated to keshi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 12:54PM by servbot30.
Sanjeev (Admin)
No starting new threads for you! :P Just playing...but I decided to merge these threads so as not to lose all the previous talkies on the subject...

Anyway, I've gotten way more into keshi as of late, and honestly I find myself REALLY drawn to the MUSCLE/kinkeshi (Kinnikuman) aesthetic. For me, it's the "format" of the figure (or what Matt Doughty would call, the "form factor"). But whatever f-word you choose, it's the basic overall type/style of the toy.

See, those Monster Hunter doods you posted are neat, but I'm just not that into the full-on SD aesthetic. For some reason, SD means "disposable" in my mind. :/

But kinkeshi are like a great middle ground: they're kinda-sorta-quasi SD in that they're mostly kinda squat (like classic He-Man guys), have no necks, and are mostly chunky bastards. I think that's more fun than a straight up non-deformed style when making toys in this scale. And speaking of which, I think the 1-3/4" size of kinkeshi is perfect: fun in your hands, and you can stuff a few in your pocket to take wherever.

In fact, I just got me a Satan Cross yesterday!

Edit: And here's a pic I took with my phone's mediocre camera...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 01:43PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-04-01_12-41-57_669.jpg (239.2 KB)
I have a purple Satan Cross in a box somewhere at my dad's.

What grabs me about the Monster Hunter stuff is mainly the feel of having a tiny Dungeons and Dragons game in my pocket. I don't mind the SD aesthetic at all since most of the figures are monsters. There is one set that is mostly cat samurai though. :P
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, well that makes sense: non-humanoid monsters can definitely be rendered in SD without seeming THAT...annoyingly cute. ;)

Mmm...grape Satan...
I'm not gonna flood this thread with pics so I'm gonna drop this linkzilla to another thread I started on LRG that covers my Monster Hunter illness up to this point. Check it!

[www.littlerubberguys.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Again, I think the SD human characters are weak...they just look like generic anime characters with dumb fantasy gear. They could be from a hundred cookie-cutter western fantasy-style anime/manga series...

The monsters and whatnot are really tight, though. Yeah, some look kinda dull and uninspired, but many look quite unique...and those are the ones that are the most visually interesting to me.
So this happened. Got paid really good a week back and decided to peruse ye old yahoo japan. This was a mistake as I now have around 150 necros fortress figs waiting for me via tokyobuyers. When I get into my new place in a month I'll post pics. :D
Sanjeev (Admin)
Moving again? Damn.

Well, uh, good on ya for scoring on those auctions(?)!

:P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer